ENOSBURGH — While Vermont Gas Systems’ plan to expand south through Addison County has been getting lots of attention, it more quietly has been expanding to the east.
Last week, South Burlington-based Vermont Gas announced that it has added 14 miles of gas distribution pipeline that will enable it to bring natural gas to the village of Enosburg Falls and a major local manufacturer.
The big customer is Franklin Foods, which employs more than 100 workers at an Enosburg Falls plant that is the third-largest producer of cream cheese in the United States.
Both Vermont Gas Systems and officials with Franklin Foods are talking up the lower cost and smaller carbon footprint of natural gas compared with other energy sources.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.