ENOSBURGH — While Vermont Gas Systems’ plan to expand south through Addison County has been getting lots of attention, it more quietly has been expanding to the east.
Last week, South Burlington-based Vermont Gas announced that it has added 14 miles of gas distribution pipeline that will enable it to bring natural gas to the village of Enosburg Falls and a major local manufacturer.
The big customer is Franklin Foods, which employs more than 100 workers at an Enosburg Falls plant that is the third-largest producer of cream cheese in the United States.
Both Vermont Gas Systems and officials with Franklin Foods are talking up the lower cost and smaller carbon footprint of natural gas compared with other energy sources.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — Different people have different stars. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.