Town-village merger proposal tabledOctober 05,2013BELLOWS FALLS ó A plan to merge the Vermont village of Bellows Falls with the town of Rockingham in 2014 has hit a delay.
The proposal would eliminate the Bellows Falls Village Corporation and the Board of Trustees, which would be turned over to the Rockingham Select Board.
Village services, such as police and fire departments, would continue to be supported by village residents through separate fees or taxes.
But some members of the village trustees and town Select Board said at a joint meeting Thursday that the plan doesnít include any details on the financial impact of the merger, the Eagle Times reported. It also doesnít specify any benefits for the town or village.
Paul Obuchowski and Jim McAuliffe, members of the ad hoc committee that developed the plan, said the details would come out in the public hearings. But some Bellows Falls trustees felt the plan lacked enough information to bring it to a public hearing.
ďIím in favor of just tabling it until there are some financials,Ē said Trustee Charlie Hunter.
Rockingham Select Board Chair Thomas MacPhee agreed to return to village trustees with more information about the merger.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.