Today the day to ‘button up’STAFF REPORT | October 05,2013MONTPELIER — Gov. Peter Shumlin has declared today “Button Up” day in Vermont.
It’s meant to help Vermonters take actions that will lower their energy bills this winter and reduce their contribution to climate change, according to a news release.
Modeled after Vermont’s successful Green Up Day, this event will be the first grass-roots day of action on weatherization in Vermont. The day, which is being spearheaded by the Vermont Energy and Climate Action Network, is aimed at mobilizing as many volunteers as possible throughout the state to take steps — large and small — to help Vermonters stop wasting energy and become more energy independent.
“Every year, many Vermont homeowners waste hard-earned dollars because their homes are inefficient and leaky,” said network coordinator Johanna Miller in the release.
“Button Up Vermont Day of Action is intended to be a fun, collaborative, community-driven effort to arm more people with the information, incentives and path they need to stop wasting energy and start saving money.”
More than 30 communities have signed up to participate, including Barre, Montpelier and Randolph.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER – The United States Department of Agriculture announced today that schools in... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Ensisheim meteorite falls into Alsatian wheatfield, 1665, first issue of London Gazette, 1874, Thomas Nast cartoon features elephant as GOP symbol, 1907, Jesus Garcia saves town from burning dynamite boxcar.