Today the day to ‘button up’STAFF REPORT | October 05,2013MONTPELIER — Gov. Peter Shumlin has declared today “Button Up” day in Vermont.
It’s meant to help Vermonters take actions that will lower their energy bills this winter and reduce their contribution to climate change, according to a news release.
Modeled after Vermont’s successful Green Up Day, this event will be the first grass-roots day of action on weatherization in Vermont. The day, which is being spearheaded by the Vermont Energy and Climate Action Network, is aimed at mobilizing as many volunteers as possible throughout the state to take steps — large and small — to help Vermonters stop wasting energy and become more energy independent.
“Every year, many Vermont homeowners waste hard-earned dollars because their homes are inefficient and leaky,” said network coordinator Johanna Miller in the release.
“Button Up Vermont Day of Action is intended to be a fun, collaborative, community-driven effort to arm more people with the information, incentives and path they need to stop wasting energy and start saving money.”
More than 30 communities have signed up to participate, including Barre, Montpelier and Randolph.MORE IN This Just InDearest farm, with your well-worked fields full of food, I love you. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.