Cyclist with ties to Vt dies in Belgium crashThe Associated Press | October 05,2013JERICHO ó A U.S. cyclist from Colorado with ties to Vermont has died in an accident while training in Belgium.
The Young Telenet-Fidea Cycling team said 26-year-old Amy Dombroski, a professional cyclocross racer, died Thursday while doing speed training behind a scooter when she collided with a van.
Manager Hans van Kasteren said she was catapulted into the air, thrown 50 meters and died instantly.
Dombroski was a native of Jericho and lived in Boulder, Colo. She won three under-23 cyclocross national titles and moved to Belgium last year to train with her team.MORE IN Wire NewsWASHINGTON ó House Republicans unveiled a slimmed-down bill Tuesday to address the immigration... Full StoryNEW YORK ó When it comes to preventing the spread of germs, maybe the president is on to... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.