Cyclist with ties to Vt dies in Belgium crashThe Associated Press | October 05,2013JERICHO — A U.S. cyclist from Colorado with ties to Vermont has died in an accident while training in Belgium.
The Young Telenet-Fidea Cycling team said 26-year-old Amy Dombroski, a professional cyclocross racer, died Thursday while doing speed training behind a scooter when she collided with a van.
Manager Hans van Kasteren said she was catapulted into the air, thrown 50 meters and died instantly.
Dombroski was a native of Jericho and lived in Boulder, Colo. She won three under-23 cyclocross national titles and moved to Belgium last year to train with her team.MORE IN Wire NewsFrank Torre, the older brother of Joe Torre, played first base for seven seasons in the major... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.