Cyclist with ties to Vt dies in Belgium crashThe Associated Press | October 05,2013JERICHO — A U.S. cyclist from Colorado with ties to Vermont has died in an accident while training in Belgium.
The Young Telenet-Fidea Cycling team said 26-year-old Amy Dombroski, a professional cyclocross racer, died Thursday while doing speed training behind a scooter when she collided with a van.
Manager Hans van Kasteren said she was catapulted into the air, thrown 50 meters and died instantly.
Dombroski was a native of Jericho and lived in Boulder, Colo. She won three under-23 cyclocross national titles and moved to Belgium last year to train with her team.MORE IN Wire NewsLOS ANGELES — Immigration courts are speeding up hearings for the tens of thousands of Central... Full StoryBENGHAZI, Libya — Islamic hard-line militias, including the group accused by the United States... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.