Vt high court rejects bid for DNA test in 1986 murderThe Associated Press | October 05,2013MONTPELIER — The Vermont Supreme Court has rejected a bid by a former Eden man to use DNA evidence to overturn his conviction in the 1986 murder of a Jericho teenager.
Edwin Towne, now 61, was tried and sentenced in 1989 for the death more than two years earlier of 15-year-old Paulette Crickmore. She was abducted on her way to Mount Mansfield Union High School in September 1986.
Towne wanted to use DNA technology developed since the time of the crime to reanalyze hair evidence from the case.
But the high court ruled Friday that he had not shown a high probability that even if the evidence appeared to be in his favor, it would result in the conviction being overturned. It said there was other strong evidence in the case.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Pesticides in soil and ground water are killing not only honey bees and other useful insects, but songbirds as well.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Judge issues deposition order in for city police corporal's lawsuit against the department, market for marijuana-laced edibles en fuego in at least two states, West Rutland truck fire consumes all driver's earthly possessions.