Shutdown closes Vt. federal lands to huntersOctober 04,2013Shutdown closes
lands to hunters
MONTPELIER ó The federal government shutdown means that federal lands in Vermont will be closed to hunters, anglers and other users during the foliage season.
In the Northeast Kingdom Nulhegan Basin Division and Putney Mountain Unit of the Silvio Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge have closed to public.
The Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge in Swanton also is closed.
Vermont Fish & Wildlife Commissioner Patrick Berry says the shutdown hits Vermont during one of the stateís busiest seasons for hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing. He says this is a time when rural communities across Vermont really count on the local revenues generated by hunting and fishing activities.
He encourages checking the department website at www.vtfishandwildlife.com for other wildlife management areas and public lands.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.