Vt. town-village merger proposal tabledThe Associated Press | October 04,2013BELLOWS FALLS - A plan to merge the Vermont village of Bellows Falls with the town of Rockingham in 2014 has hit a delay.
The proposal would eliminate the Bellows Falls Village Corporation and the Board of Trustees, which would be turned over to the Rockingham Select Board.
Village services, such as police and fire departments, would continue to be supported by village residents through separate fees or taxes.
The Eagle Times reported that some committee members said the plan doesn't include any details on the financial impact of the merge. It also doesn't specify any benefits for the town or village.
Some Bellows Falls trustees felt the plan lacked enough information to bring it to a public hearing.
The proposal has been tabled for now.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.