Vt. Guard postpones drill for 3k due to shutdownOctober 02,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER - The head of the Vermont National Guard says he's postponing the October drill weekend because of the federal government shutdown.
The guard's Plans, Operations and Training Branch is working to reschedule as it prioritizes training requirements. The event had been scheduled for this weekend.
Maj. Gen. Steven Cray says it's too early to say how the federal government shutdown will affect guard readiness, but officials are working to minimize disruptions to members and families.
On Tuesday, the guard announced that about 450 workers were being furloughed.
Meanwhile, state officials say the impact of the shutdown should be minimal, if it doesn't last too long.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.