Vt. Guard postpones drill for 3k due to shutdownOctober 02,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER - The head of the Vermont National Guard says he's postponing the October drill weekend because of the federal government shutdown.
The guard's Plans, Operations and Training Branch is working to reschedule as it prioritizes training requirements. The event had been scheduled for this weekend.
Maj. Gen. Steven Cray says it's too early to say how the federal government shutdown will affect guard readiness, but officials are working to minimize disruptions to members and families.
On Tuesday, the guard announced that about 450 workers were being furloughed.
Meanwhile, state officials say the impact of the shutdown should be minimal, if it doesn't last too long.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!