Man denies offering teen money for sexOctober 01,2013Police: Man offered
teen money for sex
A Rutland man has denied charges he offered a teenage girl money and electronics for sexual favors.
Richard P. Tobin, 68, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to engaging in a prohibited act.
According to affidavits filed with the court, investigators with Rutland City Police and the Department for Children and Families interviewed a girl who said she first met Tobin while going door-to-door selling fundraising items for school.
Affidavits state Tobin and the girl became friends, and over a three-year period, Tobin bought the girl four cellphones and paid for their service agreements.
According to police, Tobin made numerous sexual advances and offered the girl money, a laptop computer and new cellphones. He also asked her for nude pictures, affidavits state.
According to an affidavit by Rutland City Police Officer Keith Lorman, ď(the girl) advised their relationship became uncomfortable when the defendant gave her something. She advised it felt like he had power over her.Ē
The alleged incidents began when the girl was 12 years old, records state.
Tobin is free on conditions he not contact his alleged victim.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.