Man denies offering teen money for sexOctober 01,2013Police: Man offered
teen money for sex
A Rutland man has denied charges he offered a teenage girl money and electronics for sexual favors.
Richard P. Tobin, 68, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to engaging in a prohibited act.
According to affidavits filed with the court, investigators with Rutland City Police and the Department for Children and Families interviewed a girl who said she first met Tobin while going door-to-door selling fundraising items for school.
Affidavits state Tobin and the girl became friends, and over a three-year period, Tobin bought the girl four cellphones and paid for their service agreements.
According to police, Tobin made numerous sexual advances and offered the girl money, a laptop computer and new cellphones. He also asked her for nude pictures, affidavits state.
According to an affidavit by Rutland City Police Officer Keith Lorman, “(the girl) advised their relationship became uncomfortable when the defendant gave her something. She advised it felt like he had power over her.”
The alleged incidents began when the girl was 12 years old, records state.
Tobin is free on conditions he not contact his alleged victim.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.