Man denies offering teen money for sexOctober 01,2013Police: Man offered
teen money for sex
A Rutland man has denied charges he offered a teenage girl money and electronics for sexual favors.
Richard P. Tobin, 68, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to engaging in a prohibited act.
According to affidavits filed with the court, investigators with Rutland City Police and the Department for Children and Families interviewed a girl who said she first met Tobin while going door-to-door selling fundraising items for school.
Affidavits state Tobin and the girl became friends, and over a three-year period, Tobin bought the girl four cellphones and paid for their service agreements.
According to police, Tobin made numerous sexual advances and offered the girl money, a laptop computer and new cellphones. He also asked her for nude pictures, affidavits state.
According to an affidavit by Rutland City Police Officer Keith Lorman, “(the girl) advised their relationship became uncomfortable when the defendant gave her something. She advised it felt like he had power over her.”
The alleged incidents began when the girl was 12 years old, records state.
Tobin is free on conditions he not contact his alleged victim.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.