Man denies offering teen money for sexOctober 01,2013Police: Man offered
teen money for sex
A Rutland man has denied charges he offered a teenage girl money and electronics for sexual favors.
Richard P. Tobin, 68, pleaded innocent Monday in Rutland criminal court to engaging in a prohibited act.
According to affidavits filed with the court, investigators with Rutland City Police and the Department for Children and Families interviewed a girl who said she first met Tobin while going door-to-door selling fundraising items for school.
Affidavits state Tobin and the girl became friends, and over a three-year period, Tobin bought the girl four cellphones and paid for their service agreements.
According to police, Tobin made numerous sexual advances and offered the girl money, a laptop computer and new cellphones. He also asked her for nude pictures, affidavits state.
According to an affidavit by Rutland City Police Officer Keith Lorman, “(the girl) advised their relationship became uncomfortable when the defendant gave her something. She advised it felt like he had power over her.”
The alleged incidents began when the girl was 12 years old, records state.
Tobin is free on conditions he not contact his alleged victim.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.