LOWELL — Vermont’s largest power company says its Lowell Mountain wind farm has been able to ship more power because of an upgrade of a nearby power line.
Green Mountain Power officials said Friday that power generation at it Kingdom Community Wind facility in Lowell had increased dramatically following improvements on the line between Irasburg and Johnson.
The utility says it will be installing another piece of equipment in Jay this winter — a synchronous condenser — to boost the power output from Lowell Mountain further.
The company says the changes should enable the project to generate 63 megawatts during favorable wind conditions.
The upgrades follow periods in recent months when the facility was ordered by the regional power dispatch agency ISO New England to reduce its output in response to constraints on the transmission system.
“We have always believed that this wind resource would provide a clean, cost-effective energy resource for Vermonters, and this upgrade is helping us achieve that goal,” said GMP spokesman Dorothy Schnure.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.