Police: Landlord swapped rent for sexSeptember 18,2013Police: Landlord
took sex for rent
WILDER ó A landlord is facing criminal charges for allegedly receiving sexual favors from a tenant in place of rent, police said.
Robert Lowery, 55, had been engaged in a long-running dispute with a tenant at his Horseshoe Avenue home, Hartford police said.
The Valley News reported that Lowery allegedly entered the tenantís apartment, damaged items and threw them onto the lawn.
Police said the investigation revealed that Lowery and the tenant, whom Police Chief Brad Vail said was an adult woman, had engaged in consensual sex in place of rent.
Lowery is charged with prohibited acts, a misdemeanor. He is also charged with burglary and unlawful mischief.
Police are also investigating the actions of the tenant, according to Vail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.