Police: Landlord swapped rent for sexSeptember 18,2013Police: Landlord
took sex for rent
WILDER — A landlord is facing criminal charges for allegedly receiving sexual favors from a tenant in place of rent, police said.
Robert Lowery, 55, had been engaged in a long-running dispute with a tenant at his Horseshoe Avenue home, Hartford police said.
The Valley News reported that Lowery allegedly entered the tenant’s apartment, damaged items and threw them onto the lawn.
Police said the investigation revealed that Lowery and the tenant, whom Police Chief Brad Vail said was an adult woman, had engaged in consensual sex in place of rent.
Lowery is charged with prohibited acts, a misdemeanor. He is also charged with burglary and unlawful mischief.
Police are also investigating the actions of the tenant, according to Vail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Storm takes out power for 60,000 Vermonters; state gets $33M to fund pre-K education; Springfield board OKs fund to demolish blighted buildings, voters have final say; George Nostrand runs down coming events.