Police: Landlord swapped rent for sexSeptember 18,2013Police: Landlord
took sex for rent
WILDER ó A landlord is facing criminal charges for allegedly receiving sexual favors from a tenant in place of rent, police said.
Robert Lowery, 55, had been engaged in a long-running dispute with a tenant at his Horseshoe Avenue home, Hartford police said.
The Valley News reported that Lowery allegedly entered the tenantís apartment, damaged items and threw them onto the lawn.
Police said the investigation revealed that Lowery and the tenant, whom Police Chief Brad Vail said was an adult woman, had engaged in consensual sex in place of rent.
Lowery is charged with prohibited acts, a misdemeanor. He is also charged with burglary and unlawful mischief.
Police are also investigating the actions of the tenant, according to Vail.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.