Police: Landlord swapped rent for sexSeptember 18,2013Police: Landlord
took sex for rent
WILDER — A landlord is facing criminal charges for allegedly receiving sexual favors from a tenant in place of rent, police said.
Robert Lowery, 55, had been engaged in a long-running dispute with a tenant at his Horseshoe Avenue home, Hartford police said.
The Valley News reported that Lowery allegedly entered the tenant’s apartment, damaged items and threw them onto the lawn.
Police said the investigation revealed that Lowery and the tenant, whom Police Chief Brad Vail said was an adult woman, had engaged in consensual sex in place of rent.
Lowery is charged with prohibited acts, a misdemeanor. He is also charged with burglary and unlawful mischief.
Police are also investigating the actions of the tenant, according to Vail.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.