Suspected copper thief charged in westside burglariesSeptember 18,2013By Darren Marcy
WEST RUTLAND — Rutland County Sheriff’s deputies nabbed a suspected copper thief in West Rutland early today and they have tied him to at least seven copper thefts in the area.
Sgt. David Fox of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department said Greg Munukka, 26, of West Rutland jumped out of a window of a vacant home on Smith Street when officers arrived and led them on a foot pursuit before he was caught on Marble Street near the swamp.
Officers are still actively investigating the case and Fox said the tally will climb as they add up the thefts and damages caused by the copper burglaries.
Fox said Munukka will be held overnight and will likely be arraigned Thursday.
He’s currently being held on charges of burglary and unlawful mischief.
“There will probably several counts of each once we get done getting everything tallied up,” Fox said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.