Suspected copper thief charged in westside burglariesSeptember 18,2013By Darren Marcy
WEST RUTLAND — Rutland County Sheriff’s deputies nabbed a suspected copper thief in West Rutland early today and they have tied him to at least seven copper thefts in the area.
Sgt. David Fox of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department said Greg Munukka, 26, of West Rutland jumped out of a window of a vacant home on Smith Street when officers arrived and led them on a foot pursuit before he was caught on Marble Street near the swamp.
Officers are still actively investigating the case and Fox said the tally will climb as they add up the thefts and damages caused by the copper burglaries.
Fox said Munukka will be held overnight and will likely be arraigned Thursday.
He’s currently being held on charges of burglary and unlawful mischief.
“There will probably several counts of each once we get done getting everything tallied up,” Fox said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.