Suspected copper thief charged in westside burglariesSeptember 18,2013By Darren Marcy
WEST RUTLAND — Rutland County Sheriff’s deputies nabbed a suspected copper thief in West Rutland early today and they have tied him to at least seven copper thefts in the area.
Sgt. David Fox of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department said Greg Munukka, 26, of West Rutland jumped out of a window of a vacant home on Smith Street when officers arrived and led them on a foot pursuit before he was caught on Marble Street near the swamp.
Officers are still actively investigating the case and Fox said the tally will climb as they add up the thefts and damages caused by the copper burglaries.
Fox said Munukka will be held overnight and will likely be arraigned Thursday.
He’s currently being held on charges of burglary and unlawful mischief.
“There will probably several counts of each once we get done getting everything tallied up,” Fox said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?