Suspected copper thief charged in westside burglariesSeptember 18,2013By Darren Marcy
WEST RUTLAND — Rutland County Sheriff’s deputies nabbed a suspected copper thief in West Rutland early today and they have tied him to at least seven copper thefts in the area.
Sgt. David Fox of the Rutland County Sheriff’s Department said Greg Munukka, 26, of West Rutland jumped out of a window of a vacant home on Smith Street when officers arrived and led them on a foot pursuit before he was caught on Marble Street near the swamp.
Officers are still actively investigating the case and Fox said the tally will climb as they add up the thefts and damages caused by the copper burglaries.
Fox said Munukka will be held overnight and will likely be arraigned Thursday.
He’s currently being held on charges of burglary and unlawful mischief.
“There will probably several counts of each once we get done getting everything tallied up,” Fox said.MORE IN This Just InPolice are seeking information about a pair of robberies in Rutland and Wallingford Wednesday night. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.
- DUANE CARLETON: Rutland Herald Events Editor George Nostrand interviews musician Duane Carleton, whose new CD 'A GIRL LIKE THAT' drops Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014, and will be celebrated that evening with a show at 9:30 p.m. at Killington's Pickle Barrel.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Sigisimund, king of Hungary, creates Order of the Dragon to defend the West against Ottoman Turks; Chong Ho escorts 300 virgins to China; J. Bruce Ismay born this day, built Titanic, gets free trip, does not go down with the ship.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Storm takes out power for 60,000 Vermonters; state gets $33M to fund pre-K education; Springfield board OKs fund to demolish blighted buildings, voters have final say; George Nostrand runs down coming events.