Vt. Health Dept. finds EEE in Milton mosquito poolSeptember 17,2013The Associated Press
BURLINGTON - The Vermont Health Department says the Eastern Equine Encephalitis virus has been found in a mosquito pool in Milton, the first time the virus has been detected in Chittenden County.
The Health Department says additional EEE samples also came from Cornwall and Brandon.
Epidemiologist Erica Berl says the positive Milton sample should serve as a reminder that people across Vermont should continue to take actions to avoid mosquito bites.
She says the risk won't be gone until there has been widespread, hard frost.
Earlier this month, officials reported EEE killed two horses in Franklin County. Last year two people died of EEE, the state's first human cases.
Officials say the only way to protect against the disease is to avoid mosquito bites.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER - Opponents of the Lowell wind turbines argue that state officials should not have... Full StoryWASHINGTON — The U.S. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation