Shumlin says marijuana will be legal some dayThe Associated Press | September 12,2013MONTPELIER - Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin says he thinks marijuana should be legalized in the state, but not right now.
He says he believes that legalizing and taxing marijuana is the direction the country is headed and "Vermont should be a part of that conversation."
But he says he's not willing to do that now.
Shumlin made the comments Wednesday after being asked about the topic during his weekly news conference.
Last month the U.S Justice Department said it would not sue to block laws in Colorado and Washington state that allow for recreational use of marijuana.
On July 1, Vermont decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana.MORE IN This Just InRutland's Secret Santa has announced his presence for the season. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation