Vermont broadband expansion proceeding in Orange CountyThe Associated Press | September 12,2013MONTPELIER - The Vermont Telecommunications Authority says broadband Internet service is expanding in northern Orange County.
The first seven miles of the Orange County Fiber Connector project are in service and a total of more than 32 miles of the 36-mile route have been hung on utility poles.
The route begins in Chelsea, generally follows Route 113 to Thetford and then Route 132 to Sharon.
The authority compares the fiber to interstate highways with a large capacity to transmit data. Internet service providers then connect customers to the fiber network.
Gov. Peter Shumlin has set the goal of ensuring all Vermonters have access to broadband Internet service by the end of this year.MORE IN This Just InThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Researchers find new species of hominid, the Denisovans, and follow genetic evidence that place them across a wide swath of the globe before extinction 40,000 years ago.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Proctor estate sale hits serious legal speed bump, Rutland Town wraps up solar project regulations, Patty Minichiello interviews visiting sculptor in West Rutland and Castleton Crackers honored with national award.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Tamerlane, in 1401 on this day, lays waste to Baghdad; 'Rock Around The Clock' hits No. 1 on Billboard chart in 1955, stays there for eight weeks.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Texas towns, shaken by earthquakes linked to fracking for gas and oil, are fed up and scared, want to ban the practice,
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Fracking linked to 100-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Roswell: Weather balloon, invasion from outer space or primitive spy op? You decide. Francis Gary Powers faces the music on this day and it's Russian pop hits, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross born this day and the Mahatma eschews violence.