Southern Vt. suffers power outages from stormThe Associated Press | September 12,2013School has been cancelled in a number of Vermont communities following a series of powerful storms that knocked out electricity to tens of thousands of customers across parts of the state.
Green Mountain Power says it will be Friday before power is restored to all customers from Wednesday's storms.
More than 27,000 customers lost their power by 10 p.m. Wednesday. Green Mountain Power said that as of 8 a.m. Thursday, about 10,000 remain without power.
Crews have been working to restore power, and more crews from out of state are assisting.
Meanwhile, schools have been closed in parts of Orange, Rutland, Washington and Windsor counties.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1935, New York gangster, bootlegger, ruthless murderer Dutch Schultz, born Arthur Flegenheimer to Jewish-German immigrant parents, and three associates gunned down, killed, at the Palace Chophouse in Newark, N.J.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.