GMP needs a cow nameSeptember 11,2013Students asked to
name GMP’s cow
Green Mountain Power is offering an ice cream party to the child who wins its “name that cow” contest.
The as-yet-nameless animatronic cow will be on display at GMP’s Energy Innovation Center, which is expected to open this fall on Merchants Row in downtown Rutland.
The 7-foot long, fur-covered machine will — through a series of conversational scripts — discuss how cow manure can be used to generate electricity.
Children 12 and younger can submit names, with an ice cream party for the winner and his or her class at school, or for the family if the child is home-schooled.
Names can be submitted by mail: Cow Name Contest, GMP EIC, 67 Merchants Row, Suite 104, Rutland Vt. 05701, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Entries should include the suggested cow name, as well as the name, town, age, school name or home school and phone number of the child submitting the suggestion.
Teachers or parents may send entries from multiple children but should identify each child’s entry separately.
The deadline to enter is 5 p.m. Nov. 30.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.