Woman charged after SUV theftSeptember 11,2013Woman charged
after SUV is taken
A Rutland woman was jailed after police said they found her behind the wheel of a missing SUV.
Marci L. Newton, 30, pleaded innocent Tuesday in Rutland criminal court to misdemeanor charges of driving a vehicle without the owner’s consent, lying to police and driving with a suspended license.
Shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday, according to an affidavit filed with the court, a Pine Street resident told police someone had stolen her 1999 Ford Explorer from her driveway.
Within 15 minutes, police stopped the SUV on Woodstock Avenue. According to police, the driver — later identified as Newton — initially gave police a false date of birth.
Noting Newton’s 21 misdemeanor and five felony convictions — including three for escape while on furlough, Judge Cortland Corsones imposed $5,000 bail. Newton was taken to the Rutland jail, where she remained Tuesday night.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.