Woman charged after SUV theftSeptember 11,2013Woman charged
after SUV is taken
A Rutland woman was jailed after police said they found her behind the wheel of a missing SUV.
Marci L. Newton, 30, pleaded innocent Tuesday in Rutland criminal court to misdemeanor charges of driving a vehicle without the owner’s consent, lying to police and driving with a suspended license.
Shortly before 1 a.m. Tuesday, according to an affidavit filed with the court, a Pine Street resident told police someone had stolen her 1999 Ford Explorer from her driveway.
Within 15 minutes, police stopped the SUV on Woodstock Avenue. According to police, the driver — later identified as Newton — initially gave police a false date of birth.
Noting Newton’s 21 misdemeanor and five felony convictions — including three for escape while on furlough, Judge Cortland Corsones imposed $5,000 bail. Newton was taken to the Rutland jail, where she remained Tuesday night.MORE IN This Just InTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Bad crash in Rutland Town sends driver to hospital, natural gas pipeline get support from Addison County Planning Commission.