THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
BURLINGTON — The Burlington City Council is voting on a deal that would transfer ownership of a downtown parking lot to Vermont’s Champlain College, which plans to build apartment-style housing on the site for about 300 students.
The council is scheduled to vote tonight on whether to proceed with the $1.1 million deal for what is now a parking lot at St. Paul and King streets.
Champlain owns the adjacent property. The college would like to begin work this fall. Construction could begin in January.
The city’s Board of Finance unanimously approved the proposed property sale at its meeting last Tuesday.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool