Veteran, founder of Purple Hearts Reunited, to speak Sept. 12 in BurlingtonSTAFF REPORT | September 09,2013BURLINGTON — The founder of Purple Hearts Reunited will speak to the Green Mountain chapter of the Air Force Association Sept. 12 at the Elks Club in Burlington.
Capt. Zachariah Fike was awarded the Purple Heart in September 2010 for injuries he received while deployed with the Vermont Army National Guard in Afghanistan.
The nonprofit that he established, Purple Hearts Reunited, works to locate lost or stolen military medals and return them to their rightful owners or families.
The meeting includes lunch at a cost of $12, payable at the door (cash only). Advanced luncheon registration is required and may be made by contacting John Roach by email at email@example.com or by phone at 879-3713.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe shooting deaths of nine worshippers in a South Carolina church have spurred calls for tighter... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.