Pickup truck plunges into riverSeptember 07,2013CLAREMONT, N.H. — Police say a pickup driver who refused to stop for police in Claremont, N.H., speeded down a dead-end road, plunged into a river and swam away before he was found and arrested several hours later.
Police said the truck driven by 18-year-old Travis Hattery of Walpole crashed through trees, became airborne and crashed into the Sugar River early Friday.
A dive team searched for him; Hattery was later found in Claremont. He was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and other crimes. Police said the pickup was stolen.
Police said a juvenile passenger from Westminster, Vt., also was in the truck. He swam away from police and was later found in Bellows Falls, Vt.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.