Pickup truck plunges into riverSeptember 07,2013CLAREMONT, N.H. — Police say a pickup driver who refused to stop for police in Claremont, N.H., speeded down a dead-end road, plunged into a river and swam away before he was found and arrested several hours later.
Police said the truck driven by 18-year-old Travis Hattery of Walpole crashed through trees, became airborne and crashed into the Sugar River early Friday.
A dive team searched for him; Hattery was later found in Claremont. He was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and other crimes. Police said the pickup was stolen.
Police said a juvenile passenger from Westminster, Vt., also was in the truck. He swam away from police and was later found in Bellows Falls, Vt.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.