Pickup truck plunges into riverSeptember 07,2013CLAREMONT, N.H. — Police say a pickup driver who refused to stop for police in Claremont, N.H., speeded down a dead-end road, plunged into a river and swam away before he was found and arrested several hours later.
Police said the truck driven by 18-year-old Travis Hattery of Walpole crashed through trees, became airborne and crashed into the Sugar River early Friday.
A dive team searched for him; Hattery was later found in Claremont. He was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and other crimes. Police said the pickup was stolen.
Police said a juvenile passenger from Westminster, Vt., also was in the truck. He swam away from police and was later found in Bellows Falls, Vt.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.