Pickup truck plunges into riverSeptember 07,2013CLAREMONT, N.H. — Police say a pickup driver who refused to stop for police in Claremont, N.H., speeded down a dead-end road, plunged into a river and swam away before he was found and arrested several hours later.
Police said the truck driven by 18-year-old Travis Hattery of Walpole crashed through trees, became airborne and crashed into the Sugar River early Friday.
A dive team searched for him; Hattery was later found in Claremont. He was charged with reckless conduct with a deadly weapon and other crimes. Police said the pickup was stolen.
Police said a juvenile passenger from Westminster, Vt., also was in the truck. He swam away from police and was later found in Bellows Falls, Vt.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.