HARDWICK — Vermont State Police and the family of a Vermont man killed 36 years ago in Hardwick in an unsolved crime are each offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction, or other resolution of the case.
Sixty-four-year old Bernard Ewen was killed at his residence on July 16, 1977. Police say he was strangled to death.
Ewen’s daughter is now offering a $5,000 reward; Vermont State Police also are offering the same reward.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective Sgt. Kelley Clark at the Vermont State Police Derby Barracks at (802)-334-8881 or to the State Police Crime Information Tip Line at (802)-241-5355. People may also submit anonymous tips by texting “CRIMES” (274637) with keyword: VTIPS or online at http://vsp.vermont.gov/tipsubmit.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.