Man denies he stole dump truckSeptember 04,2013Man denies he
stole dump truck
A Killington man who allegedly stole and then crashed a $50,000 dump truck Monday was arraigned Tuesday on seven charges brought by prosecutors in two counties.
Cameron L. Smith, 25, pleaded innocent in Rutland criminal court to felony charges of unlawful trespass in an occupied dwelling and operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent, as well as a misdemeanor charge of drunken driving, all of which were brought by Rutland prosecutors.
But because Smith allegedly drove the stolen truck into Windsor County, where police say he drove over an embankment off Route 107 in Stockbridge, he also pleaded innocent to misdemeanor charges of leaving the scene of a crash, drunken driving, operating a motor vehicle in a reckless manner and reckless endangerment, which were brought by prosecutors in that county.
Smith remained in the Rutland jail Tuesday afternoon for lack of $15,000 bail. If convicted of all charges, he faces up to 17 years in jail.
Trooper Aaron McNeil said Smith exhibited signs of extreme intoxication when he wandered into a home on Route 100 in Pittsfield, where a woman said she found Smith barefoot in her kitchen requesting a glass of water.
Smith reportedly left the home without incident but then allegedly stole the dump truck from a home next door.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.