Vt car search after robbery finds dummy grenadeThe Associated Press | September 04,2013MORRISTOWN — Vermont State Police had a scare when they were searching a car after a robbery and found what appeared to be a hand grenade.
Police say they also found what appeared to be a gun and notes threatening to use the weapons during Friday’s search, which followed Thursday’s robbery at the Kinney Drugs store in Cambridge.
The car was parked outside the Morristown Police Department, which was ordered evacuated. A state police bomb squad was called in. The grenade turned out to be a dummy, and the gun turned out to be an air gun.
Police say they do not believe the case was related to the discovery of a live hand grenade outside a Morrisville restaurant Aug. 21.MORE IN Vermont NewsCOLCHESTER — The Lake Champlain Chamber Music Festival opened Sunday with one of the most... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool