ELMIRA, N.Y. — A fire tore through a home, spewing flames from the windows and killing four children, neighbors said.
The four victims had been pulled from the burning upstate New York home by firefighters and medics but died later.
The blaze swept through the two-story home, on a tidy block in the riverside city of Elmira, south of New York’s Finger Lakes near the Pennsylvania border, on Friday night. Fire officials said the building was engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Police didn’t immediately release the names and ages of the victims but confirmed on Saturday that children were among them.
Firefighters had the blaze under control fairly quickly, officials said. The victims were found on the second floor in the home.MORE IN Wire NewsPORTLAND, Maine — The mansion that serves as Maine headquarters of the Woman’s Christian... Full StoryMichael Kammen, a Pulitzer Prize-winning historian whose scholarly aim was no less than the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation