May F. LeeAugust 30,2013
May F. LeeMay F. Lee
BENNINGTON — May Foote “Peter” Lee (nee May Katharine Strangfeld), 94, died Aug. 19, 2013, in Bennington.
She was born March 3, 1919, in Allendale, N.J., the daughter of Clemens S. and Augusta (Hasselbach) Strangfeld.
She graduated from Ramsey (NJ) High School in 1936, and earned a degree in nursing from the Roosevelt Hospital School of Nursing in New York City in 1940.
She married Charles C. Foote, MD, of New York, N.Y., on Sept. 17, 1942. He died in 1966. In 1971, she married Earl G. Holmes, and they moved to Dorset. Following his death in 1988, she married James W. Lee. He died in 1999. In 2005, she moved to The Equinox Village in Manchester.
She was a member of the Ekwanok Country Club, the Dorset Field Club, and the Manchester Garden Club. She won many club and regional tennis and platform tennis tournaments through the years at her various clubs, including the Englewood Field Club in Englewood, and the Cream Hill Lake Association in Cornwall, Conn.
She served on the boards of the Englewood (NJ) Hospital, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Southern Vermont, and the Dorset Nursing Association. She also served in many capacities at the Dorset Congregational Church, and as a docent at the Southern Vermont Art Center and Hildene in Manchester.
She enjoyed traveling and foreign cultures, and over the years she traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Survivors include three daughters, Katharine Lingamfelter of Stuart, Fla., Janet Stones of Bethel, Conn., and Cynthia Foote of Orchard Park, N.Y.; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; a brother, John Strangfeld of Chatham, N.J.; and many nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by a sister, A. Marian Strangfeld, and three brothers, William, Richard, and Edward.
Memorial services will be held at The Dorset Congregational Church at 2 p.m. on Sept. 7, 2013. Interment will be at the George Washington Memorial Park in Paramus, N.J., at 1 p.m. on Sept. 9, 2013.
Contributions may be sent to the Dorset Nursing Association, PO Box 549, Dorset, VT 05255.
Funeral arrangements are under the care of the Mahar Funeral Home and Cremation Service, 385 Bonnet St., Manchester Center, VT.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.