May F. LeeAugust 30,2013
May F. LeeMay F. Lee
BENNINGTON — May Foote “Peter” Lee (nee May Katharine Strangfeld), 94, died Aug. 19, 2013, in Bennington.
She was born March 3, 1919, in Allendale, N.J., the daughter of Clemens S. and Augusta (Hasselbach) Strangfeld.
She graduated from Ramsey (NJ) High School in 1936, and earned a degree in nursing from the Roosevelt Hospital School of Nursing in New York City in 1940.
She married Charles C. Foote, MD, of New York, N.Y., on Sept. 17, 1942. He died in 1966. In 1971, she married Earl G. Holmes, and they moved to Dorset. Following his death in 1988, she married James W. Lee. He died in 1999. In 2005, she moved to The Equinox Village in Manchester.
She was a member of the Ekwanok Country Club, the Dorset Field Club, and the Manchester Garden Club. She won many club and regional tennis and platform tennis tournaments through the years at her various clubs, including the Englewood Field Club in Englewood, and the Cream Hill Lake Association in Cornwall, Conn.
She served on the boards of the Englewood (NJ) Hospital, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Southern Vermont, and the Dorset Nursing Association. She also served in many capacities at the Dorset Congregational Church, and as a docent at the Southern Vermont Art Center and Hildene in Manchester.
She enjoyed traveling and foreign cultures, and over the years she traveled extensively in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Survivors include three daughters, Katharine Lingamfelter of Stuart, Fla., Janet Stones of Bethel, Conn., and Cynthia Foote of Orchard Park, N.Y.; eight grandchildren and three great-grandchildren; a brother, John Strangfeld of Chatham, N.J.; and many nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by a sister, A. Marian Strangfeld, and three brothers, William, Richard, and Edward.
Memorial services will be held at The Dorset Congregational Church at 2 p.m. on Sept. 7, 2013. Interment will be at the George Washington Memorial Park in Paramus, N.J., at 1 p.m. on Sept. 9, 2013.
Contributions may be sent to the Dorset Nursing Association, PO Box 549, Dorset, VT 05255.
Funeral arrangements are under the care of the Mahar Funeral Home and Cremation Service, 385 Bonnet St., Manchester Center, VT.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.