Vermont DCF worker charged with felony in MaineAugust 29,2013Vt. DCF worker
charged in Maine
A caseworker for the Vermont Department for Children and Families is charged with sexually assaulting a child in Maine.
Jeffrey Parfitt, 26, of Middlebury, was indicted Wednesday on a single felony charge of unlawful sexual conduct, according to the Bangor Police Department in Maine. Lt. Paul Edwards said Parfitt is expected to surrender himself to Maine authorities.
Bangor Police made few details on the case available Wednesday, saying that Parfitt was in Maine to “follow-up” regarding the living situation of a juvenile female there. The girl’s father made a complaint to police after Parfitt made an “unnecessary and inappropriate examination of the child after asking the father to leave the residence to allow for privacy.”
Two Bangor detectives came to Vermont and interviewed Parfitt before the local prosecutor brought the case before a grand jury.
DCF commissioner Dave Yacovone did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday afternoon, but did issue a statement saying that Parfitt had been placed on administrative leave and that his department had cooperated with Bangor Police and “reviewed the safety of children and youth Mr. Parfitt had contact with as part of his official duties.”
The statement did not describe the findings of that review.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.