W. Leland LawrenceAugust 29,2013W. Leland Lawrence
SPRINGFIELD — Willard Leland Lawrence, died Tuesday, Aug. 27, 2013.
He was born Jan. 3, 1924, in Springfield, the son of Lawrence and Mary Leland Lawrence.
He was a 1941 graduate of Springfield High School, and received a bachelor’s degree in business administration from Northeastern University in Boston.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Army, serving with the Glider Division during WWII.
Following his honorable discharge from the service, he married Ruth Becker of Bellerose, N.Y., in February, 1948. They moved to Springfield, where he worked at Lawrence & Wheeler Inc., beginning an insurance career that lasted more than 40 years.
He was president of the Vermont Association of Insurance Agents (1962-63), president of Springfield’s Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the Vermont Industrial Development Authority, as well as the Springfield chapter president, and district governor of Rotary International.
He was a long-time member of the First Congregational Church, where he was also a member of the choir and a bass soloist.
He was a founding member of the Crown Point Country Club, the 1953 club champion at Walpole Country Club, and a former member of the Ekwanok Golf Club in Manchester.
He enjoyed golf and family reunions.
Survivors include his wife of 65 years, Ruth Lawrence, now of East Providence, R.I.; four sons, Stoddard L. Lawrence of Dublin, Ohio, Thomas E. Lawrence of West LaFayette, Ind., Jeffrey W. Lawrence of Framingham, Mass., and L. Davis Lawrence of Lancaster, Pa.; a daughter, Leigh Anne Lawrence Mosco of Barrington, R.I.; 13 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. He was predeceased by a son, Richard B. Lawrence, a grandson, Matthew T. Lawrence, and a sister, Mary Elizabeth.
A memorial service will be held at the First Congregational Church in Springfield on Friday, Sept. 6, 2013, at 11 a.m.
Friends may call at Davis Memorial Chapel in Springfield on Thursday, Sept. 5, from 5 to 7 p.m.
In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the First Congregational Church, 77 Main St., Springfield, VT 05156.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.