Mother accused of smoking pot with teenAugust 27,2013Staff Report
BENNINGTON — A North Bennington mother is facing criminal charges after police said they believed she was smoking marijuana with her 15-year-old son.
Abigail L. Drown, 35, of North Bennington, pleaded innocent in Bennington criminal court to two misdemeanor counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
In an affidavit, Officer William DiNunzio, of the Bennington Police Department, said Leon Hamilton, Drown's ex-husband and father of her three sons, made a report to police July 2.
Hamilton said he was “concerned with the pot smoking and drinking going on when the sons go to visit.”
Two sons, who were 18 and 15 at the time, live with Hamilton and a third son, who is 12, lives with Drown.
In a written statement, the 15-year-old said he had smoked marijuana and drank alcohol with his mother at the house when he
visited but said “weed was the most drug use in the house.”
According to DiNunzio, the Vermont Department of Children and Families was already investigating the allegations when he called them to make a report.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.