Gas prices, most other fuels head higherSTAFF REPORT | August 25,2013Gasoline prices in Vermont spiked 20 cents a gallon over the last month to an average of $3.75 a gallon, according to the state’s monthly fuel price report.
Prices are nearly 8 cents a gallon higher than a year ago when the average price for regular gas was $3.675 a gallon.
The average August price for heating oil in the state was $3.592 a gallon compared with $3.497 a gallon last month. Prices are only slightly higher than a year ago, when heating oil averaged $3.609 a gallon.
With the exception of propane, other fuel prices also posted increases over July.
Propane averaged $2.92 a gallon, a penny less than a month ago; kerosene, $4 a gallon, an increase of 4 cents; and diesel, $4 a gallon, an increase of 6 cents.
The Energy Information Administration reported that rising crude oil prices and seasonal demand contributed to the price of gas increasing from an average of $3.50 a gallon July 1 to $3.63 a gallon Aug. 5.
The EIA is forecasting that prices will average $3.59 a gallon in the third quarter.
For the year, the average price is expected to decline from an average of $3.63 a gallon last year to $3.52 a gallon this year. The EIA expects that in 2014 prices will head lower, averaging $3.37 a gallon.MORE IN National / World Business
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.