Dummerston killing trial delayedAugust 21,2013Caraballo murder
trial delayed again
A judge has granted defense lawyers representing Frank Caraballo an extra week to prepare for his trial in the killing of a Brattleboro woman.
Earlier this month, Judge Christina Reiss denied a similar request brought by defense lawyers who asked for an extra two months to prepare for the trial on the grounds that they were wading through an influx of new evidence.
In the latest request, filed last week, Caraballo’s attorneys said they received additional audio and video recordings that need to be analyzed before the trial, which was set to start in the second week of September.
After considering the new request, Reiss decided Tuesday to delay the start of the trial until Sept. 16.
Caraballo, 31, of Holyoke, Mass., is charged with killing Melissa Barratt, 30, whose body was found in a wooded area in Dummerston on July 29, 2011.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.