Dummerston killing trial delayedAugust 21,2013Caraballo murder
trial delayed again
A judge has granted defense lawyers representing Frank Caraballo an extra week to prepare for his trial in the killing of a Brattleboro woman.
Earlier this month, Judge Christina Reiss denied a similar request brought by defense lawyers who asked for an extra two months to prepare for the trial on the grounds that they were wading through an influx of new evidence.
In the latest request, filed last week, Caraballo’s attorneys said they received additional audio and video recordings that need to be analyzed before the trial, which was set to start in the second week of September.
After considering the new request, Reiss decided Tuesday to delay the start of the trial until Sept. 16.
Caraballo, 31, of Holyoke, Mass., is charged with killing Melissa Barratt, 30, whose body was found in a wooded area in Dummerston on July 29, 2011.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1249 AD, ANDRE of LONGJUMEAU is dispatched by LOUIS IX of France to meet the KHAGAN, ruler of the Mongol Empire; in 1804, during 1st Barbary War, STEPHEN DECATUR scuttles the pirate-held USS Philadelphia in Tripoli.